Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dublin Day 1

Wow, this last week has been crazy.

After my midterms, I was ready for a break.  My roommate and I decided to go to Dublin for fall break shortly after we arrived here.  So Sunday we boarded a train to Pisa where we would catch our flight to Ireland.  It is seriously a day of travel between the hour and half train ride, the waiting in the airport for two hours, the two and a half hour plan ride and the ride into Dublin itself.  We left at 12:30 and got in around 8:00 that night.

After checking into the Hostel, my hunger crept up on me and attacked my stomach.  I asked the check-in girl (very pretty with rockin hair and glasses) where the best place to get pub grub was.  She directed me to O'Neills.  It was delicious.  I originally wanted shepard's pie but a nice toasted cheese and onion sandwich sounded far more appealing at that point. 

We kind of called it an early night after that. But the next day was jam-packed.

We woke up early to grab some continental breakfast.  This was my first experience with peanut butter in two months.  This may seem unimpressive to you, but I literally eat peanut butter in some form, ( peanut butter toast or peanut butter banana smoothie or Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs from Trader Joe's for example). on a daily basis back in the states.  So my peanut butter toast on this day is definitely worth mention.

We ventured out of the Hostel with no particular destination in mind.  We were told it was "bank holiday" several times, but I have yet to figure out what holiday we were exactly celebrating.  Luckily, there is at least one company that doesn't shut down on holidays.  The Guinness factory.

Classy, right?


It was huge.  Massive.  Actually, I would swear the Guinness factory and the surrounding area forms its own town.  For eleven euros and hours of entertainment, it was defintely worth the very long walk.  (We walked the entire river Liffy to get there, I swear). Although it was very entertaining and surprisingly educational, I have one confession.  I don't like beer.  I know.  Shocker, right?  I should be predisposed to it, as I am largely Irish.  But I don't like beer and as good as Guinness claims to be, I don't like it either.  Blasphemy, I know, but I am just being honest.

By the time we got out of the storehouse, we were starving.  We ducked into a very elegant eating establishment for some fried goods, Burger King.  Don't judge.  After dinner we headed to our first movie (in a real cinema) since the summer.  We saw The Social Network.  Amazing.  Everyone reading this should go see it.  Aaron Sorkin, my homie, did a fantastic job, as usual.

We returned to the hostel and I made a quick call to Matthew.  Somehow it turned into a rather heated discussion about male-female relationships.  I can't quite recall what...but I know it ended with me running out for a box of Cadbury chocolate chip cookies and plowing through nearly the entire box.

The weather was very nice that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment