Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Uno di Quei Giorni.

Today has just been "one of those days".  One of those glorious yet simplistic days where nothing particularly special happens, but life seems perfect none the less.  I haven't had one of these days in a long time.

As usual, getting out of bed was difficult.  My body desperately wants to conform with the Italian tradition of sleeping late, but my school schedule forbids it.  I scampered to my Italian class in dread.  I'm finding that I can speak Italian perfectly fine, I have a harder time trying to understand it.  Which in regards to my class means that, I would answer the question beautifully if I knew what she was asking.  Today was the exception though.  The words just seemed to flow over me and before I realized it, I was walking out of the class with my head held high and ready to conquer the Italian world. 

After Italian, I had my third yoga class.  My body wasn't screaming at me (as loud) this time around.  I was focusing solely on my movements.  I can feel my body already strengthening and toning itself.  For the first time during a yoga session, I felt graceful.  I felt the energy in my body really pulsing through my veins.  And even though the last five minutes are meant to calm the mind, I couldn't help racing through all the things I wanted to accomplish.  Not only today.  Not only in Florence,  but in my life.  I left feeling invigorated and inspired. 

After I got cleaned up, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and the person staring back wasn't the normal Elizabeth.  This woman was full of confidence and drive.  And for some reason she appeared taller than normal.  I haven't seen this woman in a long time.

After a quick lunch of a fried egg I was off to learn how to make gelato.  I had it set in my mind that this quick gelato lesson would provide me with the tools to make gelato whenever I wanted from now on.  (I live in a dreamer's world).  It would be some easy recipe and I could steal borrow my father's ice cream maker to do it.  It couldn't be that difficult, right?  Well, it's not.  It's not difficult at all actually.  You basically mix together cocoa powder, sugar, confectioner's suger, milk and bowling water.  Then you add the ice cream base (made from cream and sugar) and churn it. Here comes the discouraging part, the two machines used to churn the gelato costs approximately 50.000 euros.  Then on top of that, I would naturally have to spend 50.000 euros on an expanding wardrobe if I did have the capability to make my own gelato.  So that's on the back burner, for now.


I ran over to the library  to watch Mamma Roma with Maddie.  When it was finished ("Fine" as Pasolini put it), we stepped out of the viewing room into the library where we met another classmate.  She asked us how it was. I stand by my opinion.  I didn't like it.  And I told her this.  And I told the eavesdropping librarian this.  The eavesdropping librarian who happens to be an ex "Histroy of Italian Cinema" professor.  Yes, only I have the impeccable timing to insult Pasolini in front of an Italian Cinema expert.  Maddie, dodging the ensuing debate, made an excuse and got the hell out of there.  Now, I don't like to personify any stereotypes of the pretentious film student, but when someone looks at me like "little girl what could you possibly know about cinema?" I am so ready to thrown down.  Like that time I was working my grocery store job and a man started rambling on about how films today don't have good plots (which I agree with).  Then assuming that my only interests in life were price checks and produce codes, he leaned across the check out stand and asked, as if I was three years old, "Do you know what plot is"?  To which I responded, "You know I'm not a big fan of plot, but I love a good story."  Flim jab.  Burn.  All my film homies should appreciate that one.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?


Now I'm just rambling nonsense.  Basically I've had a bomb day and I'm hoping this high continues forever.  (I live in a dreamer's world). 

No comments:

Post a Comment