Monday, October 18, 2010

The French Riviera

Now before Alli anyone jumps down my throat let me say I recognize I haven't updated in a while.  I'm not a particularly lazy person, but this week has been kind of hellish between homework, studying for midterms, and a heinous cold.  I don't have much to report on the week since I spent most of it sleeping/in my bright green slippers.  But last weekend is another story.

When I signed up to study abroad ("signed" being the most simplistic way I can put it) I was able to choose two from eight different weekend trips throughout the semester.  The first I chose was a trip through Montecarlo and the French Riviera.

As most trips begin, this too commenced at what I could call the "ass-crack of dawn".  And I'm more of a morning person, so the 4:45 a.m. call time was ridiculous even for me.  We got on the bus to be proceeded by the most uncomfortable attempted four hours of sleep of my life. We arrived in Monaco around 11.  It was beautiful.  I can't imagine why Grace Kelly uprooted her life to live there.  But seriously, gorgeous.  It was gorgeous.  In fact they maintain such a perfection in aesthetics that even the guards of the palace are considered to be the most beautiful of the French soldiers.  After seeing them, I think that's an actual requirement.  Unfortunately we only had time for a quick lunch (omelette for me.  Delicious) and a quick walking tour around the city of Monte Carlo.  Then back on the bus.

Montecarlo


After a few more hours of driving, which I spent focusing on not throwing up, we arrived in Nice France.  It was an adorable little medieval city with narrow streets.  They all have narrow streets in Europe.  That night we were catered a delicious french meal of tuna salad, roasted chicken with potatoes, and pistachio ice cream.  My mouth is watering right now just reminiscing about it.  After dinner we, Kassie, Bree, Erica, Nicole and myself, wanted to head out to the bars to celebrate Kassie's 21st.  It's unfortunate that the first bar we stopped at did nothing to help the snooty french stereotype.  Not only were we forced to wait as a crowd of people were let in before us, they told us we had to check our coats for three euros (a requirement of no one else) and they had the audacity to card us.  So we blew that popsicle joint and headed to the King's Pub.  Now this was more of my style.  There was a live classic rock band playing and despite paying 9 euros for a jack and coke, I was feeling pretty good by the time we left. 
Nice men,


The next morning was another early one and this time we headed to Saint Paul de Vence.  It was nice, but a little too small and nothing was open.  But because Kassie and I overslept and didn't have time to grab the continental breakfast, this forced us to get a croissant and some coffee.  I have never had such flakey goodness pass through my lips.  It was delicious and oh-so-French I was tempted to pull out my beret then and there. 

Saint Paul de Vence


Our next stop was by far my favorite.  Cannes.  It was basically like any other overpriced beach city which you get used to living in Caifornia.  I was on cloud nine though.  Right as the bus stopped, I made a mad dash to the Claude Debussy Theatre where they hold the film festival.  One girl said it was very anti-climactic considering what it's used for.  But I protest.  Galleries are not meant to be gawdy and extravagant because the art itself is kept inside.  This is my feeling about the theatre. And also, you put a giant red carpet on ascending stairs it's always going to be a little bit classier.  Not to mention add flashing cameras, screaming fans and of course the stars, the theatre would ineherently transform.  After ogling the theatre for a while we decided to meander through the city a bit.  You know so I can get acclimated for the next few years when I return.  We stopped on the very windy beach for a photo op and bought ourselves some postcards.  I decided to get one of the opening night of the festival.  I'll hang it above my desk so I can always know what my goal is.  Or maybe on my fridge because then it will be a constant reminder considering my eating habits.  Speaking of which, we ended our trip to Cannes with what was easily the best sandwich I ever had in my entire life.  French bread toasted with prosciutto, guyere cheese and mustard.  I died and went to heaven on the first bite.  (I think I have a slight obsession with food...)
I feel like this pose would be inappropriate the next time I'm there i.e. at the festival.

We have the same size hands.  Life's good.



Our final stop was at the small town of Eze.  There's a very old and famous perfume factory there named Fragonard.  We spent what little time we had there taking a tour and I even splurged on myself.  As part of me finding my identity, I've decided I need a smell.  So I chose one that was fresh and feminine but not overpowering.  Just a kiss you could say, which is ironic because that's the name of the scent I bought.  I fell in love with it.  Or perhaps all the fumes had gone to my head.  I don't care. 

So that was last weekend.  Sorry it was late, Alli.  But better late than never. 

No comments:

Post a Comment